Crash Bandicoot

Awesome work the Sega Saturn never got anything that matched the PS1s top games.

MGS, Crash Bandicoot, Crash Team racing.

We did get some ports from the PS1 like Wipeout and Wipeout 2097 and graphically I don't mind the mesh transparencies.
But generally they look worse running at a lower resolution + and lower frame rate.

Sega Announced Virtua Fighter 3 which I would have loved to have come out on the Saturn but not if the Saturn couldn't handle it.
But rather as something that proved the Sega Saturn was not bad at 3D just difficult to program for.

Either way for what it was I loved the Sega Saturn

Thanks @msimplay ! But I can't let you say that nothing matched PS1s top games on the graphical parts :aetsch:
Look at 24:23 the water effect :captain:

The obvious top brass of Sega did.
But that was a brief period.

In my mind 2D games obviously beat PS1.

Virtua Fighter 1 got smashed next to Tekken and Battle Arena Toshinden.
1 for being a bad port and 2 for not having textured polygons.

Daytona USA got smashed for looking bad next to Ridge Racer

You have the Golden Era games.

Virtua Fighter 2, Virtual On, Panzer Dragoon 2, Virtua Cop 2, Sega Rally,
Nights into Dreams and Daytona USA CCE( let me know if I missed anything)

Then after that it was back to bad 3D performance and/or bad graphics games.

House of the dead, Sega Touring Car,
Croc,
Fighting Vipers, Fighters Mega mix.
I'm not saying they bad games btw but they made the Sega Saturn look weak.

Then we have some exceptions like Bulk Slash, Radiant Silvergun, Dead or Alive.
Shining Force 3.

But they remained Japan only and out of reach for most kids like me at the time.

Also by nothing matched I meant that the PS1 got pushed to its limits during its lifetime with it's later life games but the Sega Saturn was not so much.
I'm still wondering if the Sega Saturn could do Virtua Fighter 3 perhaps with an FPGA cart ^⁠_⁠^

Fighting Vipers has bad graphics?? :stop:
It doesn't have bad graphics but it doesn't look as good as Virtua Fighter 2.
I remember my friends came around and I was showing them Fighting Vipers they said it plays well because of the destructable backgrounds
but it doesn't look that good compared to VF2.

It doesn't have bad graphics but it doesn't look as good as Virtua Fighter 2.
I remember my friends came around and I was showing them Fighting Vipers they said it plays well because of the destructable backgrounds
but it doesn't look that good compared to VF2.

I mean it doesn't use high-res mode but the backgrounds scale better with the camera movement, there's real-time lighting and shadows, and yes the destructible armor and walls are impressive feats that Virtua Fighter 2 does not feature. And it runs at a solid frame rate to boot.

Anyway, you originally didn't say "these games look worse than VF2" you said "Then after that it was back to bad 3D performance and/or bad graphics games." I don't think Fighting Vipers or Fighters Megamix deserve to be described like that.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Last Bronx, one of Sega's final fighting games for the Saturn. I think it's their best-looking one. Plus another late Saturn release, Grandia, which was from third party Game Arts — it looks great. Good-looking Saturn games definitely came out after the "golden era" you described.

Last Bronx didn't come to mind at the time.
Fighting Vipers is good on a technical level but when you compare it to VF2 it doesn't look as good.
As far as looks go its mid tier IMO
Compare directly to PS1 3D Fighters they all look better than Fighting Vipers.

It doesn't matter really but in my mind the top tier on Sega Saturn that really compare to PS1 3D games are just a handful during the lifetime of the Sega Saturn is what I meant.

Yes but Grandia falls into the category of it remained Japan only for many years and our closest English version was on the PS1.

I'm not talking strictly about performance but more about the fact we didn't get to see the full potential of the Sega Saturn during it's life time.

By 1997, the PlayStation had already significantly surpassed the Saturn in terms of market share (except in Japan). Consequently, this situation, along with the development complexity, drove away many developers. However, the final blow came when rumors about the Blackbelt project (which later became the Dreamcast) leaked. At that point, nobody wanted to venture into what was seen as a system with no future. Therefore, if we want to compare PlayStation and Saturn games in terms of graphics, it's more objective, in my opinion, to focus on games released before 1998.

The PS1 had incredible games from a technical standpoint, largely due to developers mastering the system over time. This is evident with Namco; the first Ace Combat doesn't hold up compared to Ace Combat 3, just as Ridge Racer pales in comparison to Ridge Racer Type 4, or the first Tekken to Tekken 3.

If the Virtua Fighter 3 project on the Saturn had been completed, I'm certain that further milestones would have been reached.
When considering technical specifications alone, the Saturn wasn't as inadequate for 3D graphics as commonly believed (just look at this Sega Saturn/Hardware comparison)
It's just that both the Saturn and Dreamcast died long before showing us their full potential :damn:

Frogbull, another great demo here.

About the off topic, I feel like msimplay is constantly moving goalposts to fit their narrative lol.
Also, let's not forget PS1 is both more powerful and more code friendly than our loved Saturn.

Back